Pages

Taking the time to reflect

Reality is starting to hit as I prepare to enrol in my final semester; no matter what I decide to do next year this chapter of my life will be over. All going to plan in under six months I will have completed my university degree.


It’s hard to believe how fast the last three years have gone and it’s hard to imagine how much I have changed. I began uni as an insecure, melancholic 17-year-old who made a last minute decision not to defer her degree. I will leave a semi-confident, almost 20-year-old who is finally secure with herself and her own attributes.


I had expectations of what university would be like. I expected it to be a bigger, scarier version of school. In which the teachers cared little about their students and assessments were stringent and difficult. The last two years of school were the worst of my life; my outlook on university was bleak. What I’ve experienced over the last three years has been nothing as I expected. The majority of my tutors and lectures have taken an interest in me, a small number of which I now consider mentors. I’ve been able to express myself and my interests throughout all of the assessments that have been set. And I’ve done better then I could have imagined.


There aren’t many people that I went to school with that I still talk too regularly. In fact there’s probably only two or three. I’m not one to hold on to relationships. Despite myself I’ve made friendships over the last few years that I sincerely hope will be life long. Is that too cliché to say? I’ve met a group of amazing, intelligent people. This is something that I did not expect.


I’m sad to be finishing. Apprehensive about what comes next. But also excited, I’m ready to conquer the rest of this semester and then the next. Ready to begin my next challenge.


I guess it is time to take that next step towards the imminent future: enrolling in semester two subjects.

0 comments:

Post a Comment