Pages

Good job Kevin Rudd. I, for one, will grieve you.


What I’ve realised over the last 24 hours is just how deeply my passion for politics goes. It is a passion that has been blooming slowly. Reading through old journals I laugh every time I see my childish scribbling detailing the outcomes of elections. I enrolled in University with the intention to study Journalism. I wanted to report Politics- an extension of what I’d been doing since I could write! After taking a single politics course- and with a push in the right direction from my tutors- I decided reporting wasn’t enough. I want to be involved.


This dream has altered over time. But if anybody asks what my ambition is my response is simple “I’m going to be Kevin Rudd’s press secretary.” This goal sticks, Prime Minister or not. He has been one of my key inspirations. I have a hard time understanding and accepting his demise. He was, for more than two years, the most popular Prime Minister in Australian history. That is ever, guys. In case you missed that. I can’t believe that a party could turn on a member as brutally as they have. Perhaps I missing something, but I was feeling very confident about Kevin Rudd’s prospects. Now? I’m feeling very pessimistic. Not to mention a little sour. As much as I want us to win, as loyal to my party as I am; if the election is a loss you can’t say that we didn’t deserve it.


Despite this distaste as a Political Science major and a Labor party member I’m feeling hugely inspired. There’s little denying that the events of last night and this morning are the most exciting to occur in politics of my young life. (Second only to the election of Kevin Rudd, but I appreciate not everybody will second this opinion). If only this had happened at the start of the semester! I want to know more, I want to do more, I want to be more involved. If I had doubts about completing a year of honors I’m feeling much more spurred on!


Over the last three years I’ve encountered a lot of negativity towards politics and my interest in it. This has come from a number of places; strangers who ask what degree I’m studying, friends, extended family members even my University colleagues. But those closest to me have always supported me; whether or not they can comprehend where my interest has come from. I’d like to say “without being offensive”, but it’s my blog so I’ll write whatever I feel like: people who say that politics is boring or make derogative comments about it are uneducated gits. Even if you’re not interested there’s no getting around the fact that it is important. The same people that are commenting on it have absolutely no idea. I read a status on Facebook today that said something along the lines “Kevin Rudd is a pussy. Man up and finish your term.” I know. I couldn’t believe it either.


While I go back to grieving for my long-time hero I’ll be keeping this in mind; if I work hard enough and commit myself enough next time I’ll be in the midst of it. Not reading about it on social networking sites.

2 comments:

Todd Winther said...

WOW Rachael. This is fantastic. I love this.

Shinxy said...

I will grieve him too. Great post.

Post a Comment